Giotto di Bondone
The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the key dates and events in the life of Giotto di Bondone who was famous as a Medieval Italian artist of the early Renaissance. Major paintings of Giotto di Bone: Noli me tangere, The Last Supper and Madonna and Child
Short Biography profile, timeline and facts about the life of Giotto di Bondone
The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the life and history of Giotto di Bondone a famous Medieval character of the Middle Ages:
- Nationality: Italian
- Also Known by the nickname: Giotto di Bone
- Lifespan: 1266 - 1337
- Date of Birth: He was born about 1266 in the village of Vespignano, near Florence
- Family connections : He was the son of a small landed farmer. Giorgio Vasari
- Early Life and Education: Apprentice to Cimabue
- Married with six children
- Career and Timeline of Giotto di Bondone:
- Giotto worked for the Bardi's and the Peruzzi's, the Florentine families who owned the most important European banks of the thirteenth century
- Giotto worked with others for the Basilica of San Francesco in Assisi and began painting a fresco cycle there with scenes from the Old and New Testaments
- 1300: Giotto was called to Rome by Pope Benedict XI who commissioned him to paint a mosaic over the entrance to St. Peter's (the navicella)
- 1304 - 1306: Giotto finished a cycle of frescoes (Noli me tangere) inside the Scrovegni Chapel ( Arena Chapel) in Padua
- 1311: Giotto moved to Florence where he created frescoes in the Church of Santa Croce
- 1330 - 1333:Giotto di Bondone was a guest at the royal court of Naples where Giotto completed numerous projects which have not been preserved
- 1333: He returned to Florence in 1333
- In 1334 the city of Florence honored Giotto with the title of Magnus Magister (Great Master) and appointed him architect to Florence Cathedral
- Giotto di Bondone died on January 8, 1337 in Florence
- Patrons of the artist: The King of Naples and Pope Benedict XI
- In a verse by Dante he wrote, "Cimabue thought himself the master of painters, Giotto took from him the glory and relegated him to oblivion."
- Major paintings of the artist: Noli me tangere, The Last Supper and Madonna and Child
- Date of Death: Giotto di Bondone died on January 8, 1337 in Florence
- Accomplishments or why Giotto di Bondone was famous: Architect, sculptor, and painter of the early Renaissance. He broke away from the Byzantine art style and pioneered new ideals of naturalism and creating a sense of pictorial space.
Paintings by Giotto di Bondone (Giotto di Bone)
The story and biography of Giotto di Bondone which contains interesting information, facts & the history about the life of this Medieval person of historical importance. The most famous paintings by Giotto di Bondone are Noli me tangere, The Last Supper and Madonna and Child.
Noli me tangere by Giotto
Noli me tangere is a painting depicting a scene from the Resurrection (Noli me tangere) painted by Giotto between 1304-1306. The Fresco of Noli me tangere is located at Capella degli Scrovegni, Padua, Italy. Noli me tangere is part of the story in the Bible of the Resurrection of Christ where Jesus appears before the weeping Mary Magdalene at his empty tomb. She reaches out to him but he does not allow her to touch him “Touch me not” ( Noli me tangere ) "for I have not yet ascended to the father. But go to my brothers, and tell them that I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." John 20:17-18.
The Last Supper by Giotto di Bondone
The Last Supper painting by Giotto di Bondone in tempera on wood is located in Alte Pinakothek, Munich, Germany. Giotto di Bondone also depicted the Last Supper in the fresco at Cappella Scrovegni (Arena Chapel), Padua, Italy.
Madonna and Child by Giotto di Bondone
The painting of the Madonna and Child by Giotto di Bondone in Tempera on wood. This panel was painted for a chapel in the church Santa Maria sopra Minerva in Rome.
Famous People of the Middle Ages - Giotto
The Middle Ages encompass one of the most exciting periods in English History. The names of famous Medieval people scatter the History books covering the Medieval period from 1066 - 1485. Some interesting facts and short biography information about the History, Life & Times of Giotto. Additional details, facts, history and information about the famous people of the Middle Ages and important events during their times can be accessed via the Middle Ages Sitemap.
- Interesting Facts and information about Giotto di Bondone in the Medieval era of the Middle Ages
- Short Biography, Timeline Facts and History about the life and times of the artist
- Interesting Facts and information about Giotto di Bondone
- Major paintings : Noli me tangere, The Last Supper and Madonna and Child