The Middle Ages encompass one of the most exciting periods in English History. The names of famous Medieval people scatter the History books. What were these important people of the Middle Ages famous for? The famous people of the Middle Ages included Artists, Clerics, Crusaders, Diplomats, Explorers, Religious Leaders, Military Leaders, Philosophers & Theologians, Scientists, Physicians, Engineers, Mathematicians, Writers & Poets and Reformers who featured in the Medieval period from 1066 - 1485. The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the key dates and events in the life of Fra Angelico who was famous as a Medieval artist.
Short Biography profile and facts about the life of Fra Angelico
The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the life and history of Fra Angelico a famous Medieval character of the Middle Ages:
- Nationality: Italian
- Fra Angelico was originally named Guido di Pietro. He took the name Giovanni da Fiesole when he became a friar but he is famous as Fra Angelico which means the "Angelic Friar".
- Fra Angelico is also known as Beato Angelico meaning the "Blessed Angelic One"
- Lifespan: 1395 - 1455
- Date of Birth: Fra Angelico was born in 1395 in Vicchio, in the Tuscan province of Mugello, near Florence
- Fra Angelico is referred to as a Florentine Painter
- Family connections : He was the son of wealthy parents
- Early Life and Education: Before becoming a friar, Guido di Pietro (Fra Angelico) and his brother were trained as manuscript makers and illuminators
- Career and Timeline:
- 1395: Fra Angelico was born as Guido di Pietro in 1395 in Vicchio, in the Tuscan province of Mugello, near Florence
- Guido di Pietro (Fra Angelico) requested admittance at the convent of San Domenico in Florence when he was a young boy
- 1418: Fra Angelico completed his novitiate in Cortona
- 1418: Fra Angelico entered a Dominican monastery in Fiesole and became a friar which required that he changed his name. He took the name Giovanni da Fiesole
- 1418: Fra Angelico began his career as an illuminator of religious books but was instructed to undertake fresco painting
- 1420: Fra Angelico started the Annunciation and the Adoration of the Magi painting
- 1425 -1430: Fra Angelico painted Noli Me Tangere, Lamentation, Annunciation, Crucified Christ with Saint John the Evangelist, the Virgin, and Saints Dominic and Jerome, the Nativity, Transfiguration, Mocking of Christ with the Virgin and Saint Dominic, Christ Resurrected and the Mary's at the Tomb, Coronation of the Virgin and the Presentation in the Temple painting
- 1430: Fra Angelico painted the Saint Anthony the Abbott Tempted by a Lump of Gold painting
- 1434: Fra Angelico painted the Coronation of the Virgin Altarpiece from San Domenico
- 1436: Fra Angelico was transferred to the Dominican convent of S. Marco in Florence
- 1438 -1440: Fra Angelico painted the San Marco Altarpiece
- 1445: Fra Angelico was invited to Rome by the pope Eugenius IV
- 1447: Fra Angelico painted the Chapel of San Brizio with detail of Christ Seated in Judgment painting
- 1450: Fra Angelico became Prior of the convent of San Marco and later Archbishop of Florence
- 1450 - 1455: Fra Angelico painted Saint Lawrence Giving Alms, The Ordination of Saint Lawrence, the Stoning of Saint Stephen painting and Saint Lawrence Receiving the Treasures of the Church from Pope Sixtus II
- Fra Angelico died on February 18, 1455 in Rome
- Fra Angelico patron: Cosimo de Medici
- Date of Death: Fra Angelico died on February 18, 1455 in Rome
- Fra Angelico was buried in the church of S. Maria sopra Minerva
- 1982: Fra Angelico was canonized by Pope John Paul II
- Accomplishments or why Fra Angelico was famous: an artist of the Medieval Florentine of the Middle Ages. Fra Angelico specialised in pietistic painting (demonstratively religious art).
The story and biography of Fra Angelico which contains interesting information, facts & the history about the life of this Medieval person of historical importance
The most famous works of art by Fra Angelico are the Annunciation , The Madonna and Saints and the Transfiguration of Christ painting.
Famous People of the Middle Ages - Fra Angelico
Some interesting facts and short biography information about the History, Life & Times of Fra Angelico. Additional details, facts, history and information about the famous people of the Middle Ages and important events during their times can be accessed via the Middle Ages Sitemap.
- Interesting Facts, Timeline and information about Fra Angelico in the Medieval era of the Middle Ages
- Short Biography, Timeline, Facts and History about the life of Fra Angelico
- Famous Florentine artist
- Biography, Timeline, Facts and History about the life of this famous person of the Middle Ages
- Short Biography, Facts and History about the life of this famous artist of the Middle Ages