Meaning of Falchion sword
Meaning of Falchion sword - A Falchion sword was favoured by some Medieval Knights who had been on Crusade. This sword was similar to a heavy scimitar. The Medieval Falchion swords had a short, heavy blade with a single edge. The falchion sword was produced by blacksmiths on a massive scale. The falchion sword was developed from the sharp farming tools used by peasants. The falchion was a low quality sword and usually deemed unworthy of a knight who owned more expensive swords.
Description of a Falchion sword
The weapons used during the Middle Ages include the Falchion sword. The description of the Falchion sword which provides basic facts and information about the weapon is as follows:
- The Falchion sword - The Falchion sword was a mass produced Medieval sword
- They were generally made from iron with steel edges
- The Falchion sword had a single edged blade which had a a slight curve on the blade
- The length of the Falchion sword ranged from 37 - 40 inches
- The Medieval Falchion sword weighed between 1 - 2 pounds
- It was used as close contact weapon
- The weapon was primarily used for cutting or slicing an opponent and was capable of cutting off the limbs or head of an enemy in one stroke
- Type or group of weapons - Cutting Weapon
Falchion sword Training
Skill in the use of Medieval weapons and understanding the strategy of Medieval Warfare was necessary and a played a vital part in Medieval life. The Falchion sword training required by a Knight was extremely time consuming - it was necessary for them to become expert swordsmen. Skill in using Medieval weapons, including Falchion sword training was necessary for every Medieval Knight. A Knight was trained first as a Page from the age of 7 to 14 and then as Squire from the age of 14 to 21. Special places were assigned for Falchion sword training called the Pell. Pell training allowed knights to practise various vicious strokes and manoeuvres during their Falchion sword training such as thrusting, cutting, and slicing without imposing an injury on his opponent.
Each section of Middle Ages Weapons provides interesting facts and information about Medieval warfare in addition to the Falchion sword. The Sitemap provides full details of all of the information and facts provided about the fascinating subject of the Medieval period of the Middle Ages!
- Middle Ages Castles, Knights, Crusaders, Crusaders and Weapons
- Interesting Facts and information about the Medieval Falchion sword used in warfare during the Middle Ages
- Meaning and definition of a Falchion sword
- Description of a Falchion sword
- Falchion sword Training