Short Biography, facts and interesting information about Vlad Dracula the life of a famous historical
character during the Middle Ages
The Middle Ages encompass one of the most exciting periods in English History. The names of famous Medieval people scatter the History books. What were these important people of the Middle Ages famous for? The famous people of the Middle Ages included Artists, Clerics, Crusaders, Diplomats, Explorers, Religious Leaders, Military Leaders, Philosophers & Theologians, Scientists, Physicians, Engineers, Mathematicians, Writers & Poets and Reformers who featured in the Medieval period from 1066 - 1485. The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the key dates and events in the life of Vlad Dracula who was famous as the Medieval prince who murdered tens of thousands of people in Transylvania by impalement.
Short Biography profile and facts about the life of Vlad Dracula
The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the life and history of Vlad Dracula a famous Medieval character of the Middle Ages:
- Nationality: Romanian
- Family connections : He was the son of Prince Vlad Dracul (Vlad the Devil) and a Moldavian princess named Cneajna
- Origin of the name Dracula: Named for Vlad Dracul (Vlad the Devil) therefore also called Dracula or Son of the Devil
- Literary Connections: The famous author Bram Stoker wrote the book Dracula. He took the name Dracula from the blood thirsty Prince Vlad IV who lived in Transylvania and had a real lust for blood but this is where most of the similarities ended. The fictional character Count Dracula by Bram Stoker was described as a vampire
Also Known the Titles:
- Dracula or Son of the Devil
- Prince of Walachia
- Prince Vlad IV
Vlad the Impaler or Tepes, Tepesh or Tzepes ( which also mean Impaler)
- Dracula was called by the nickname Vlad the Impaler after impaling his enemies on stakes as a cruel and vicious form of torture and execution
- Lifespan: 1431 - 1476
Time Reference: Lived during the reign of King Henry VI of England
- Date of Birth: He was born on 4th of November
- Early Life and Education:
Career and Timeline of Vlad Dracula:
- The son of Prince Vlad III he seized the throne temporarily in 1448 and permanently in 1456
- Fought against the Ottoman Turks
- 1459: Dracula lived in the Transylvanian city of Braşov where he had 30,000 people impaled
- 1460: Dracula lived in the Transylvanian city of Sibiu when 10,000 people were impaled by Vlad Dracula
- 1462: Dracula was deposed by the Ottoman Sultan Muhammad II
- Vlad Dracula was betrayed by his ally the Hungarian king Matthias Corvinus
- He was imprisoned in Hungary for 12 years where he adopted the Catholic Religion
- 1476: Vlad Dracula regained the throne
- 1476: Vlad Dracula was killed by the Ottoman ally Laiota Basarab
- Date of Death: Vlad Dracula died in 1476
- The head of Vlad Dracula was preserved in honey. It was sent to Istanbul where the sultan had it displayed on a stake as visual proof that the Impaler was dead
- He is believed to be buried at a monastery located at Snagov, near Bucharest.
- Why Vlad Dracula was famous: As the sadistic prince of Transylvania who murdered over 40,000 people by impalement.
- Bram Stoker wrote the book he called Dracula inspired by the Middle Ages prince from Transylvania who had a lust for blood
Vlad Dracula - his atrocities
The story and biography of Vlad Dracula which contains interesting information, facts & the history about the life of this Medieval person of historical fame. The Medieval period of the Middle Ages were extremely blood thirsty. The terrible forms of execution and Middle Ages torture were commonplace. But the atrocities of Vlad Dracula were some of the most infamous. Vlad Dracula was cruel and totally merciless, without doubt he was a sadist. Even when he was imprisoned his lust for blood continued - he captured and tortured birds. The very number of his victims made him infamous as one of the cruellest of all princes. He had more than 40,000 people impaled in a period of two years in Transylvania.
Vlad the Impaler
The torture and execution by impalement were terrible. Vlad the Impaler enjoyed witnessing such events. Men, women and even babies were murdered by impalement.
Famous People of the Middle Ages - Vlad Dracula
Some interesting facts and short biography information about the History, Life & Times of Vlad Dracula. Additional details, facts, history and information about the famous people of the Middle Ages and important events during their times can be accessed via the Middle Ages Sitemap.