Short Biography, facts and interesting information about Regiomontanus the life of a famous historical
character during the Middle Ages
The Middle Ages encompass one of the most exciting periods in English History. The names of famous Medieval people scatter the History books. What were these important people of the Middle Ages famous for? The famous people of the Middle Ages included Artists, Clerics, Crusaders, Diplomats, Explorers, Religious Leaders, Military Leaders, Philosophers & Theologians, Scientists, Physicians, Engineers, Mathematicians, Writers & Poets and Reformers who featured in the Medieval period from 1066 - 1485. The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the key dates and events in the life of Regiomontanus who was famous as a Medieval Scientist, Mathematician and Astronomer.
Short Biography profile and facts about the life of Regiomontanus
The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the life and history of Regiomontanus a famous Medieval character of the Middle Ages:
- Nationality: German
- Also Known as : Johann Muller
- Lifespan: 1436 - 1476
- Date of Birth: He was born on 6 June 1436 in Unfinden, near Königsberg), Germany
- Family connections : He was the the son of a miller
- Early Life and Education: Regiomontanus became a mathematical and astronomical prodigy at a very early age. His early education was at home
- Career and Timeline of Regiomontanus :
- 1447 - 1450: Studied at the University of Leipzig
- 1450: Regiomontanus entered the University of Vienna and became a pupil of Peurbach
- 1457: Received his Masters degree
- 1457: He was appointed to the Arts Faculty of the University of Vienna where he worked on mathematics and astronomy
- 1457: Regiomontanus constructed instruments such as astrolabes
- 1461: Regiomontanus travelled to Rome with Cardinal Bessarion who was his patron
- 1463: Regiomontanus left Rome and travelled to Padua where he lectured at the university
- 1464: Regiomontanus wrote his book De triangulis omnimodis detailing methods for solving triangles
- 1467: Regiomontanus travelled to Hungary where his patron was the King of Hungary. He worked at the Royal Library in Budapest where he worked with Martin Bylica on astronomy and studied old manuscripts including Diophantus's Arithmetica
- Regiomontanus completed the Epitome of the Almagest which was begun by Peurbach
- 1471: Regiomontanus returned to Nurenburg where he built an observatory and constructed instruments such as the astrolabe, parallactic ruler, quadrants and Jacob's staff
- 1472: Regiomontanus set up a printing press in his own house and published various scientific and astrological works
- In 1474 he published Ephemerides
- Date of Death: Regiomontanus died on 6 July 1476 in Rome, Italy from the Black Death
- Accomplishments or why Regiomontanus was famous: Regiomontanus made important contributions to mathematics, trigonometry and astronomy. His book Ephemerides was used by Christopher Columbus and Amerigo Vespucci to measure longitudes in their explorations of the New World.
The story and biography of Regiomontanus which contains interesting information, facts & the history about the life of this Medieval person of historical importance
Quotes by Johann Regiomontanus
The following are Johann Regiomantus quotes:
" You, who wish to study great and wonderful things, who wonder about the movement of the stars, must read these theorems about triangles. Knowing these ideas will open the door to all of astronomy and to certain geometric problems.."
"Quite recently I have made observations in the city of Nuremberg for I have chosen it as my permanent home not only on account of the availability of instruments, particularly the astronomical instruments on which the entire science is based, but also on account of the great ease of all sorts of communication with learned men living everywhere, since this place is regarded as the centre of Europe because of the journeys of the merchants."
Famous People of the Middle Ages - Regiomontanus
Some interesting facts and short biography information about the History, Life & Times of Regiomontanus. Additional details, facts, history and information about the famous people of the Middle Ages and important events during their times can be accessed via the Middle Ages Sitemap.