A weapon used in the Middle Ages ( Medieval period ) by a Medieval Knight
Meaning of Longsword
Meaning of Longsword - The longsword was also known as the Bastardsword and in later times as a Hand and a Half swords. The Longsword was given the name due to the long handle which allowed for two-handed use and a longer blade. The longsword became popular due to is extreme reach and cutting and thrusting abilities. The Longsword was predominantly used by a Medieval Knight. The weapons, armor and horse of the Knight were extremely expensive - the fighting power of just one knight was worth 10 ordinary soldiers.
Description of Longsword
The weapons used during the Middle Ages include the Longsword. The description of the Longsword which provides basic facts and information about the weapon is as follows:
- The Longsword had a two-edged blade and a handle which was long enough for two hands
- The length of the Longsword ranged from 40 - 48 inches
- The Longsword handle that measured 10 - 15 inches in additional length
- The extended handle of the Longsword allowed the blade to be held in two hands
- The Medieval Longsword weighed between 5 - 8 pounds
- It was used as close contact weapon and capable of striking a massive blow
- The weapon was primarily used for cutting or slicing an opponent and was capable of cutting off the limbs or head of an enemy in one stroke
Type or group of weapons - Cutting Weapon
Skill in the use of Medieval weapons and understanding the strategy of Medieval Warfare was necessary and a played a vital part in Medieval life. The Longsword training required by a Knight was extremely time consuming - it was necessary for them to become expert swordsmen. Skill in using Medieval weapons, including Longsword training was necessary for every Medieval Knight. A Knight was trained first as a Page from the age of 7 to 14 and then as Squire from the age of 14 to 21. Special places were assigned for Longsword training called the Pell. Pell training allowed knights to practise various vicious strokes and manoeuvres during their Longsword training such as thrusting, cutting, and slicing without imposing an injury on his opponent.
Each section of Middle Ages Weapons provides interesting facts and information about Medieval warfare in addition to the Longsword. The Sitemap provides full details of all of the information and facts provided about the fascinating subject of the Medieval period of the Middle Ages!