Leon Battista Alberti
Short Biography, facts and interesting information about Leon Battista Alberti the life of a famous historical
character during the Middle Ages
Leon Battista Alberti
The Middle Ages encompass one of the most exciting periods in English History. The names of famous Medieval people scatter the History books. What were these important people of the Middle Ages famous for? The famous people of the Middle Ages included Artists, Clerics, Crusaders, Diplomats, Explorers, Religious Leaders, Military Leaders, Philosophers & Theologians, Scientists, Physicians, Engineers, Mathematicians, Writers & Poets and Reformers who featured in the Medieval period from 1066 - 1485. The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the key dates and events in the life of Leon Battista Alberti who was famous as an early Renaissance architect and artist.
Short Biography profile and facts about the life of Leon Battista Alberti
The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the life and history of Leon Battista Alberti a famous Medieval character of the Middle Ages:
- Nationality: Italian
- Also Known as: Leo or Leone Battista Alberti. "Universal man" of the Early Renaissance
- Lifespan: 1404 - 1472
- Date of Birth: He was born in Genoa on February 14, 1404
- The family returned to their home in Florence in 1429
- Family connections : Leon Battista Alberti was the illegitimate son of a Florentine called Lorenzo Alberti
- Early Life and Education: Leon Battista Alberti was well educated in Genoa and studied classics at the famous school of Gasparino Barzizza in Padua. His education continued when he was educated in law at the University of Bologna
- Leon Battista Alberti books on architecture: De Pictura was written in 1435 and De Re Aedificatoria in 1450
- Architectural Principals: Leon Battista Alberti architectural principals were founded on the importance of painting as a base for architecture
- Leon Battista Alberti and the Malatesta temple in Rimini: In 1450 the unfinished Malatesta temple (Tempio Malatestiano) was the first building that Leon Battista Alberti designed and attempted to construct based on his architectural principals.
- Career: His studies in Law ceased due to an illness when he became interested in art and architecture. He was an intellectual and famous as an accomplished cryptographer and writer. He was employed by Pope Nicholas V in the restoration of the papal palace and of the restoration of the Roman aqueduct of Acqua Vergine
- Date of Death: Leon Battista Alberti died in Rome on April 25, 1472
- Character of Leon Battista Alberti:
- Accomplishments or why Leon Battista Alberti was famous: As an early Renaissance architect and artist. The architect of the Malatesta temple
Leon Battista Alberti
The story and biography of Leon Battista Alberti which contains interesting information, facts & the history about the life of this Medieval person of historical importance.
Leon Battista Alberti and the Malatesta temple:
- Leon Battista Alberti and the Malatesta temple in Rimini: In 1450 the unfinished Malatesta temple (Tempio Malatestiano) was the first building that Leon Battista Alberti designed and attempted to construct based on his architectural principals
- Leon Battista Alberti was commissioned to transform the Gothic church of S. Francesco, Rimini in 1450
- It was to become a memorial to Sigismondo Malatesta and his wife Isotta
- The church is usually known as the Tempio Malatestiano (Malatesta temple)
- The Malatesta temple is famous for its classical triumphal arch a structure which was favored by Leon Battista Alberti
Leon Battista Alberti Quotes:
The following Leon Battista Alberti quotes reflect his views and his beliefs:
“Let no one doubt, that the man who does not perfectly understand what he is attempting to do when painting, will never be a good painter. It is useless to draw the bow, unless you have a target to aim to arrow at.” Leon Battista Alberti quote
“When I investigate and when I discover that the forces of the heavens and the planets are within ourselves, then truly I seem to be living among the gods.” Leon Battista Alberti quote
“We must always take from nature what we paint and always choose the most beautiful things.” Leon Battista Alberti quote
“Painting is possessed of a divine power, for not only . . . does it make the absent present, but it also, after many centuries, makes the dead almost alive, so that they are recognized with great admiration . . .” Leon Battista Alberti quote
“A man can do all things if he but wills them.” Leon Battista Alberti quote
The inspirational quotes of Leon Battista Alberti.
Famous People of the Middle Ages - Leon Battista Alberti
Some interesting facts and short biography information about the History, Life & Times of Leon Battista Alberti. Additional details, facts, history and information about the famous people of the Middle Ages and important events during their times can be accessed via the Middle Ages Sitemap.