Short Biography, facts and interesting information about Lady Godiva the life of a famous historical
woman in the Middle Ages
The Middle Ages encompass one of the most exciting periods in English History. The names of famous Medieval women scatter the History books - they were mostly queens and princesses. But what about the women who were not of noble birth? Who were these Medieval women who became famous despite the dominance of men during this era? The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the key dates and events in the life of Lady Godiva who was famous as the woman who rode naked on a horse through the Medieval town of Coventry.
Short Biography profile and facts about the life of Lady Godiva
The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the life and history of Lady Godiva a famous Medieval character of the Middle Ages:
- Nationality: English - Saxon
- Also Known by the name: Godgyfu or Godgifu
- Lifespan: c. 1040 - c. 1070
- Date of Birth: She was born c. 1040
- Family connections : She was the wife of the Danish Lord Leofric, the Earl of Mercia ( who was given land by King Canute)
- Believed to be the mother of Ælfgar, Leofric's only known child
- Date of Death: Lady Godiva died c. 1070
- Accomplishments or why Lady Godiva was famous: The Saxon woman who rode naked on a horse through the Medieval town of Coventry
- Lady Godiva is mentioned in the Domesday Book which was compiled in 1086. This famous noblewoman is documented as holding many estates in Warwickshire which included Coventry, which she inherited from Leofric who died in 1057.
The legend of Lady Godiva dates back to England in the Middle Ages when the Saxon wife of a Danish Lord rode naked through the streets of Coventry, 'clad in naught but her long tresses', in order to prove that the Saxon inhabitants were honorable and would not look at her. The story and biography of Lady Godiva which contains interesting information, facts & the history about the life of this Medieval woman of historical importance.
The legend and story was embellished as time went by detail was added that Lady Godiva had instructed the townsfolk to stay indoors during her ride, everyone did except a man named Tom who not resist peeking at her, hence the term "Peeping Tom."
Famous Women of the Middle Ages - Lady Godiva
Some interesting facts and short biography information about the History, Life & Times of Lady Godiva. Additional details, facts, history and information about the famous people of the Middle Ages and important events during their times can be accessed via the Middle Ages Sitemap.