A weapon used in the Middle Ages ( Medieval period ) by a Medieval Knight
Meaning of Greatsword
Meaning of Greatsword - it was a massive sword with a broad blade and usually two lethal cutting edges. The Greatsword was used to cut rather than stab. The Greatsword was predominantly used by a Medieval Knight. The weapons, armor and horse of the Knight were extremely expensive - the fighting power of just one knight was worth 10 ordinary soldiers.
Description of Greatsword
The weapons used during the Middle Ages include the Greatsword. The description of the Greatsword which provides basic facts and information about the weapon is as follows:
- The Greatsword - The Greatsword was a massive, two handed Medieval sword
- The Greatsword had a two-edged blade measuring 2-3 inches wide at the base which tapered to a point
- The length of the Greatsword ranged from 50 - 72 inches
- The Greatsword handle that measured 18 - 21 inches in additional length
- The extended handle of the greatsword allowed the blade to be held in two hands
- The Medieval Greatsword weighed between 6 - 10 pounds
- It was used as close contact weapon and capable of striking a massive blow
- The weapon was primarily used for cutting or slicing an opponent and was capable of cutting off the limbs or head of an enemy in one stroke
Type or group of weapons - Cutting Weapon
Skill in the use of Medieval weapons and understanding the strategy of Medieval Warfare was necessary and a played a vital part in Medieval life. The Greatsword training required by a Knight was extremely time consuming - it was necessary for them to become expert swordsmen. Skill in using Medieval weapons, including Greatsword training was necessary for every Medieval Knight. A Knight was trained first as a Page from the age of 7 to 14 and then as Squire from the age of 14 to 21. Special places were assigned for Greatsword training called the Pell. Pell training allowed knights to practise various vicious strokes and manoeuvres during their Greatsword training such as thrusting, cutting, and slicing without imposing an injury on his opponent.
Each section of Middle Ages Weapons provides interesting facts and information about Medieval warfare in addition to the Greatsword. The Sitemap provides full details of all of the information and facts provided about the fascinating subject of the Medieval period of the Middle Ages!