Short Biography, facts and interesting information about Donatello the life of a famous historical
character during the Middle Ages
The Middle Ages encompass one of the most exciting periods in English History. The names of famous Medieval people scatter the History books. What were these important people of the Middle Ages famous for? The famous people of the Middle Ages included Artists, Clerics, Crusaders, Diplomats, Explorers, Religious Leaders, Military Leaders, Philosophers & Theologians, Scientists, Physicians, Engineers, Mathematicians, Writers & Poets and Reformers who featured in the Medieval period from 1066 - 1485. The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the key dates and events in the life of Donatello who was famous as a great Italian Medieval sculptor of the early Renaissance.
Short Biography profile and facts about the life of the Sculptor Donatello
The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the life and history of Donatello a famous Medieval character of the Middle Ages:
- Nationality: Italian
- Also Known as : Donato di Niccolo di Betto Bardi
- Lifespan: 1386 - 1466
- Date of Birth: He was born in 1386, the exact date of birth is unknown
- Family connections : He was the son of Nicolo di Betto Bardi, a wool merchant in Florence
- Career: Donatello was apprentice to Ghiberti in Florence
- One of his patrons was Cosimo de Medici.
- Date of Death: Donatello died on December 13, 1466
- Accomplishments or why Donatello was famous: Italian sculptor of the early Renaissance period. The most famous works of art by Donatello include David, Mary Magdalene, Madonna, Salome, Zuccone, St. Mark, St. John the Evangelist and St. George and the Dragon
- Donatello was a forerunner of humanistic expression and worked towards creating a system of perspective
- Donatello produced sculptures in marble, bronze, terracotta and wood
- Donatello was one of the first Renaissance artists interested in the Classical art and architecture of ancient Greece and Rome and became the first artist of the Renaissance to create a nude statue
- Donatello invented a technique known as schiacciato, or shallow relief, which achieved effects of spatial depth
Donatello Art and Statuary work
The story and biography of Donatello which contains interesting information, facts & the history about the life of this Medieval person of historical importance. Donatello was greatly occupied with statuary work. Statuary was greatly admired by the Romans who created statues commemorating famous people or events.
Donatello Art - David by Donatello
The David by Donatello in Museo Nazionale del Bargello. Florence. The height of the bronze statue of David by Donatello is 158 cm. David was the chosen subject of the statue as he had become a symbol of the Florentine Republic. In the statue of David by Donatello David wears a crown of leaves, reminiscent of the Roman heroes of antiquity reflecting the interest that Donatello had in classical art.
Donatello Art - Mary Magdalene by Donatello
The location of this statue of Mary Magdalene by Donatello is at Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, Florence. The Mary Magdalene statue stands 6 foot two inches and was sculpted in wood with gold. The statue of Mary Magdalene was sculpted by Donatello between 1454 and 1455.
Donatello Art - Madonna or Virgin by Donatello
The Madonna or Virgin by Donatello is a relief also known as the Madonna delle Nuvole (Madonna of the Clouds). Donatello also sculpted the Borromeo Madonna around 1450 in terracotta. The Borromeo Madonna depicts a half length Virgin Mary with the infant Jesus
Famous People of the Middle Ages - Donatello
Some interesting facts and short biography information about the History, Life & Times of Donatello. Additional details, facts, history and information about the famous people of the Middle Ages and important events during their times can be accessed via the Middle Ages Sitemap.