Short Biography, facts and interesting information about Cimabue the life of a famous historical
character during the Middle Ages
The following biography information provides basic facts about the key dates and events in the life of Cimabue who was famous as a Medieval Florentine painter. He was influenced by the Byzantine art style and together with Giotto, was one of the greatest pioneering artists of the early Italian Renaissance.
Short Biography profile and facts about the life of Cimabue
The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the life and history of Cimabue a famous Medieval character of the Middle Ages:
- Nationality: Italian
- Nickname Cimabue: His nickname means 'Ox-head'
- Also Known as: Giovanni Cimabue, his real name was Cenni di Pepo or Peppi. He became known as the “Father of Italian Painting.”
- Lifespan: 1240 - 1302
- Date of Birth: He was born in Florence in 1240, his exact date of birth is unknown
- Early Life and Education: Quote about the artist, "Instead of studying his letters, Cimabue spent all his time covering his paper and his books with pictures showing people, horses, houses, and the various other things he dreamt up."
- Career: He made mosaics as well as paintings, which include the frescoes of New Testament scenes in the upper church of St. Francis of Assisi
- He was a contemporary of Dante and the teacher of Giotto
- A verse by Dante preserved his name of Cimabue when he wrote, "Cimabue thought himself the master of painters, Giotto took from him the glory and relegated him to oblivion."
- Date of Death: The great artist died in 1302
- Accomplishments or why Cimabue was famous: He was the last great painter who worked in the Byzantine tradition but also a founder of the movement towards greater realism which culminated in the Renaissance
- Major works of art by Cimabue : A portrait of St John which is part of a larger mosaic in Pisa Cathedral (1302) the Madonna of Santa Trinita in Uffizi, Florence and several frescos in the Upper Church of San Francesco in Assisi
- A major work also credited to this famous artist is a Crucifixion (Santa Croce), was badly damaged in the flood that swept Florence in 1966
The story and biography of Cimabue which contains interesting information, facts & the history about the life of this Medieval person of historical importance.
Famous People of the Middle Ages - Cimabue
Some interesting facts and short biography information about the History, Life & Times of Cimabue. Additional details, facts, history and information about the famous people of the Middle Ages and important events during their times can be accessed via the Middle Ages Sitemap